WARM-UPS and COOL-DOWNS
- Basic anatomy and physiology of the shoulder, arm, hands, fingers
- Stretches (with no instrument) / balance
- Hand exercises: Basic / Advanced
- Coordination and independence exercises
- How do I tune with the pegs? ...with the fine-tuners?
- How do I use an electronic tuner? A piano? A tuning fork? A pitch-pipe?
- How do I use tuning apps for smartphones? Online tuner?
POSITION / POSTURE
- How do I hold the instrument? ...the bow?
- Rest position: violin-viola / cello
- Should I stand or sit (violin/viola)?
- Tips for effective position?
- Why practice? How much & how often should I practice? Taking breaks
- The practice area needs (logistics)
- Getting ready to practice (mentally, physically, musically)
- What is effective practice? How do I develop and maintain a strong foundation?
- Can I practice without my instrument?
- Using practice helpers (tuner, metronome, recorders, drones, recordings, backup tracks)
- Practice Plan (sample)
- Practice tips
- How do I start a new song/piece?
- Why should I review old songs?
- How can I prepare for a performance?
- Why do I have to practice scales / études / double stops / sight-reading?
- Bow exercises: Basic / Advanced
- The 5 Variables (weight, speed, PoC, tilt, angle)
- Open strings
- Dynamics: Loud & Soft
- Bow management / Bow distribution
- Basic rhythm & bowing patterns: in 3 / in 4
- Down-bow & Up-bow / String changes / Slurs / Retakes / Hooks / Accents / Son filé
- Double stops / chords / bariolage / "batteries"
- Articulation & Bowing styles: detaché / legato / staccato / martelé / sautillé / ricochet / jeté
- Effects: sul tasto / sul ponticello / flautando / tremolo
- Rhythm exercises: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8
- Tone development exercises: 1 / 2 / 3
- The 5 Basic Movements (Up-down, Across, Extensions, Shifts, Vibrato)
- Position and role of the thumb
- The 2 Basic Positions: neck / upper
- Finger tapping
- First position notes: on E / A / D / G / C (viola)
- Finger patterns (tetrachords)
- Finger drills: Basic / Advanced
- Finger independence
- Trills / Dexterity / Agility
- Extensions (backward & forward) / Contractions
- Positions: numbering / finding & checking pitch
- Fingering conventions
- Shifts: types / how to practice
- Scales: major / melodic minor / chromatic / 1-string / 1-finger / 2-finger / 3-finger
- Broken intervals: 3rds / 4ths / arpeggios
- Harmonics: natural / artificial
- Double stops: 3rds / 6ths / 8ves / 10ths / unisons / 2nds / 4ths
- Vibrato / glissando / left-hand pizzicato
Basic / Intermediate / Advanced
My First Violin Scales
Major (Traditional fingering)
Major (fingering favoring 2nd Position)
Major (fingering favoring 3rd Position)
Major (fingering favoring 4th Position)
Major (fingering favoring 5th Position)